Friday 11 December 2009

Windows 7 Automatic Update Shutdown HELL

So I came in this morning and Windows 7 had rebooted my PC.  I had 7.5GB of applications running across two operating systems (Ubuntu running in a Virtualbox - connected to lots of servers for work).  This made me very mad.  I had updated Windows Update to only download the updates, and let me choose when to install them.  I had installed them - and suffered the annoying "Reboot now for Important updates to be installed"  and I kept postponing it for 3 hours.  The last thing I expected was to come in and find that windows got fed-up asking me and decided to reboot anyway.

Well, I found a way to stop it - and thought I'd share it here as Google seems to return mainly crap about the BETA version rebooting when it's about to expire.  Convenient me thinks - this will mask any REAL issues with Windows 7 rebooting.

Anyway - here's the link:  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/prevent-windows-update-from-forcibly-rebooting-your-computer/

No comments:

Sike's shared items